[Spridgets] Fwd: Re: Headlight Relays

Bill L pythias at pacifier.com
Thu May 27 17:51:55 MDT 2010

Hello Michael,

     no one else has jumped in, so,

     http://www.directindustry.com/prod/anovay-technology-limited/bayonet-lock-electrical-connector-56927-388603.html

     do a search for "bayonette plug or better yet, cannon plug and
     you'll turn up what you want. .. be ready to solder.

     The problem with ONE universal ground is that it needs to be
     large enough to carry the entire load, and with a couple of big
     bright headlights, like H-80s or H-100's you're looking at a #6
     or #4 wire. The problem with multiple ground points is more
     places to have to trouble shoot when things go wrong, and more
     things to go wrong. Pick your poison.

     As an electrican, I would be inclined to have a separate ground
     for each headlight, but combined for high and low beams, spliced
     in the headlight buckets so that one ground comes back for each
     side. trouble shooting shouldn't be to hard that way.

     Do you want to drive at night with failed headlights? if not
     that's why they're not fused (aside from cost savings in
     manufacturing these "throw away" cars that is), but if you're
     gonna use big lights, do you want a failure in the headlight
     circuit keep the car from even starting, or would you rather the
     car keep running and replace the KNOWN fuse in the headlight
     circuit rather than chasing through the single circuit running
     through the whole car..

     I've heard that the headlights get brighter when separated into
     their own circuits with dedicated wires all the way back to the
     fuse box. This would be the way to go if you intend to run big
     lights. I'd throw fuses into the circuit just to protect the rest
     of the car from bad things coming from the lighting circuit.

     my two cents.

--
Best regards,
 Bill L.                           mailto:pythias at pacifier.com

 '66 Sprite MKIII HAN8L49403   "the red thing"

  "I tried to think but nothing happened!" - Curly

-