[Spridgets] Formula 1 returning to the US in 2012

Bud Osbourne abcoz at hky.com
Wed May 26 18:20:55 MDT 2010

The USGP should be where the greatest concentration of potential spectators
are located.  That narrows it down to the eastern seaboard and/or the west
coast.  Watkins Glen was the perfect venue and hosted the USGP from '61 thru
'80 or '81 (or was it '82?).  When Bernie's nose got out of joint about some
silly detail, he picked up his toys and went home.  The USGP was never
completely successful after it left Watkins Glen.
I think Bernie Ecclestone is probably THE worst single thing to happen to F1
since the second world war.  It's commercial success has changed it from an
exciting, challenging form of motor racing in which only a very few drivers
could truly excell into a spec series with "drivers" (bunch of snot-nosed
kids) who wouldn't have been fit to carry the driving gloves of any of the
F1 drivers of the 60s.
Seriously, can you imagine someone (other than maybe Michael Schumacher)
competing with Jo Siffert, Jochen Rindt, Jackie Stewart, Phil Hill, Graham
Hill, Dan Gurney, Stiirling Moss, Innes Ireland, Jimmy Clark, Bruce McLaren,
Denny Hulme, Pedro Rodriguez, Niki Lauda, Ronnie Peterson and, say, Chris
Amon at Spa or the Nurburgring......as those circuits were in the 60s, and
in the cars of the 60s?
Today's F1 bores me, terribly.  Of course, NASCAR turns my stomach.  Indy
Car comes close to being real racing (although I don't follow it at all
anymore), but it's just not nearly as exciting as it was back when sex was
safe and race cars were dangerous.  I guess it's because back then, there
were serious consequences for mistakes or errors in judgement and the top
drivers were really god-like figures to the rest of us, instead of mouth
pieces for big, corporate sponsors with "marketability" as their strongest
asset, instead of driving ability.
Call me a cranky old man, if you like, but racing sure has lost a LOT over
the past few decades.
Bud Osbourne