[Spridgets] Fitting harnesses (of the seatbelt variety)

Kathryn Bales kgb at frontiernet.net
Wed May 19 15:54:48 MDT 2010

I survived a multi-roll over crash in my MGTD, wearing nothing but a
1950s style 4" web lap belt. I was able to lean over and grab the
passenger side seat frame and hang on. My only injury was from the belt.

I survived a car v locomotive by virtue of not wearing ANY belt, thus
being able to leave the car prior to contact.

I survived a high speed T-bone by virtue of not wearing a seatbelt. I
was able to straddle the center console and steer from the passenger
seat.My left leg needed to be pried from under the steering wheel.

I was badly beaten by a passenger on my bus because the seatbelt release
jammed and I had no way to move and defend myself.

Belts and harnesses can be either good or bad, depending entirely on the
circumstances of the accident. I have both a harness and a roll bar in
the Midget. I always use the harness. I have push button harness/belts
in my other vehicles and refuse to use them. I have seen too many
instances of them releasing when they should hold, and jamming when they
should release. Give me aircraft type buckles and I will happily use
them daily.

Kate