[Spridgets] Fitting harnesses (of the seatbelt variety)

fastvee fastvee at yahoo.com
Wed May 19 07:11:31 MDT 2010

Hello Chris,
Yep if you also installed a roll bar and a cross brace at the same time it would be a simple job to install a racing harness. it sounds like you may already have some idea regarding the installation details, but the SCCA General Competition Rules are probably the best source of info on how to do the installation correctly.
http://tinyurl.com/3x7mvpg
Look at section 9.3.19 Driver's Restraint System.
Please be aware that a restraint system that is not properly installed could be
 dangerous, and If your state has vehicle safety inspection a sharp mechanic may not pass a harness for not being DOT approved. I'm not even going to mention the litigation issues should someone be injured, oops just did.
 Personally I would not install a harness for the street again unless it was a car that was also used in competition. It was a pain in the butt! First you have to sit on the components, and then collect six pieces of hardware to buckle up every time I stopped while hopping around town.
I agree that Mo$$ prices are too high, and I'd also appreciate a good source for the OEM belts.
John
Fogelsville, PA