[Spridgets] Clutch

Kirk Hargreaves khargreaves2 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 24 13:03:07 MST 2010

I just (for the second time) due to having too long of a rod on my slave cyl
had to pull the engine and gear box.  It is up and running again and working
great.

Anyhow.  I noticed that as the Rib Case gear box (and no doubt the Smooth
Case as well) is set up for right or left hand drive . .  there is a rubber
type cover over the other side of the bell housing.  This would be employed
for the clutch fork if the car was a right hand drive.

It looks to me that I should be able to pull the rubber cover off and get a
look at how the throw out bearing is interacting with the clutch springs.  .
if I wanted to double check the play on the clutch?

When I had the engine and gear box out, I was able to look in through the
top inspection hole (oval shaped) and push the fork towards the clutch
springs to make sure that I had enough play in there. . ie. that the throw
out bearing is not riding on the clutch springs as it was before, when not
in use.

Anyhow. .  I wonder if you might be able to shine a flash light through the
other opening, ie. the one mentioned that is covered if the car were to be
set up for right hand drive and see what is going on?  And then push the
fork into the clutch springs too see what is happening (before having to
pull the lump).

I am not sure that this is a working method as I have not tried it yet. .
So I am submitting this to the list for others to input and correct me if I
am wrong.

Kirk
59 1275