[Spridgets] Motor Oil in the Gear Box

Dean Hedin dlh2001 at comcast.net
Sun Mar 21 22:05:50 MST 2010

Interesting.  I was worried that I initialy put in 85w (I recently switched Mobil synthetic 75w)

I have two issues with my 5-speed.

The first issue is the tendency of the 1st to 2nd shift crunch.  This is worse when the tranny is cold and goes away as it warms up.
I can avoid it when the tranny is cold by gently performing the shift, which I do religously now.

Putting in the 75w made the situation a little better.  I would also say that over time this tendency to crunch appears to be on the
decline.  Maybe as a result of the synchos breaking in?   All other gears shift wonderfully.

The second item is that the tranny is a little noisy when idling and in neutral.   It's a clattering noise. kinda like the tank
tread noise
you hear in old WWII movies.  It's not very loud but it's louder than I expect.

If  I depress the clutch the noise goes away.

I should mention that this tranny was rebuilt by Rivergate when I bought the kit a little over a year ago.