[Spridgets] Bugeye DIY Repro tunnel rubber

Jay jfishbein at snet.net
Fri Mar 19 06:33:21 MST 2010

Very impressive.

jay

--- On Wed, 3/17/10, Dean Hedin <dlh2001 at comcast.net> wrote:

From: Dean Hedin <dlh2001 at comcast.net>
Subject: [Spridgets] Bugeye DIY Repro tunnel rubber
To: "Spridgets" <spridgets at autox.team.net>
Date: Wednesday, March 17, 2010, 1:11 AM

I did this a while ago, just getting around to sharing the pictures..
http://tinyurl.com/yz4otfg
or...
http://s295.photobucket.com/albums/mm135/brokencase_photos/Tunnel%20Rubber/?a
lbumview=slideshow

This is the groved rubber from RubberCal that I also used for the door panels.
I carefully laid out templates with paper and then cut the top and sides
pieces out of the rubber. The rubber ribs were cut off with a razor and then
these areas sanded smooth with a vibratory sander.

The top smoothed areas (flaps) laid over the side smoothed areas and were
glued with Gel cyanoacrylate (Locktite brand).
SBR rubber bonds really well with this.

The end result looks like a single molded piece.  Not too far from factory
look & feel.  Matches up well with my old
set of Ampco mats.   It tooks some effort, but I like it better than the
carpet option.

I still want to put the flange around the edge like the original.  I cut up a
cheap rubber SUV mat from Biglots.
Just have'nt figured out how to glue that up yet.
Next up, side curtain re-felting...