[Spridgets] NO LBC - Fluorescent Lights

Frank spritenut at comcast.net
Tue Mar 2 14:36:52 MST 2010

Michael Rowe wrote:
> I tried to replace/repair one of my fluorescent shop lights yesterday
> and was told at Home Cheapo that, in two years, the standard T12 bulbs
> will no longer be made.
They also tell us that incandescent bulbs will be a thing of the past
and we will be stuck with the curly fluorescent bulbs that are ALL made
in china, ALL contain mercury, and ALL must be disposed of  at a
suitable mercury recycling center.
Read the package on one of those bulbs, "evacuate the room in case the
bulb breaks"!
Really?
We have a Porch light program around here, they dropped off one of these
chinese mercury filled bulbs, I gave them a piece of my mind.
Saves energy, saves the planet, puts another 1000 Americans out of work
too and pollutes the rivers with mercury once again.
Do you know why we do not make these bulbs here?
Mercury!
So the chinese do not have a problem with this stuff.                Yet.

FWIW, I have T8s in my garage, they are better and last longer.