[Spridgets] Coils

Mark mark at nashvilletn.org
Wed Jun 30 15:28:49 MDT 2010

The primary of the coil can be between about 1 ohm and 6 ohms depending on
application.  Our cars typically have a 3 +/- ohm primary coil, 12 volts
through a 3 ohm coil is 4 amps when the points are closed.  The secondary
(high voltage) coil can be most any high resistance depending on the number
of turns and the saturation of the core.  It's usually the primary that
"opens" so a coil that measures 1 to 6 ohms from the + to _ side is most
often ok to use.

Mark
Nashville
58 "Bugeye"