[Spridgets] (no subject)

Mike Rambour lists at dinospider.com
Tue Jun 29 12:31:11 MDT 2010

  Seems like overkill to me for only one car.  Where I live I am legally
allowed to paint 2 cars per year and this is S. Calif. where there are
new rules are against you every morning you wake up.  Last car I did, I
closed off part of my garage with plastic sheeting and hosed down as
much as I could and sprayed the car.   I used a fresh air supply
(HobbyAir) to breathe clean fresh air and I had no problems.

     mike

On 06/29/2010 07:31 AM, fastvee wrote:
> I am getting close to having one of my cars ready for paint, and I would
like to do it myself as I have in the past. I am going to be stealthy and more
cautious than ever before, and I will have accomplished my goal if no one
knows I have painted. There is lots of info on the web about building a
temporary paint booth, but haven't found any original thinking about how to
handle the exhaust. I thought I would throw this idea out to the great minds
on this list. I am making good use of Frank's bong design for my blast
cabinet, and wondered if a larger version might be effective at removing some
of the danger from the solvents. Overspray can be collected pretty well with
furnace filters, and I am using an HVLP gun. I would mount a furnace blower
above a 55 Gal. drum with the exhaust ducted to the bottom of the barrel, and
have enough baffling to maintain a water level. I am working on sourcing an
explosion proof motor for the blower, and the whole setup
>   will be on wheels inside my shop. I will be well protected with a fresh
air mask, but my concern is that someone else could be hurt with a snoot full
of these urethane fumes. Should I try to design a carbon filter for the drum
instead of using a water bong? Is there another way to accomplish this? Any
suggestions are welcome that will allow me to do this at home safely.