[Spridgets] Miata 5 speed in a Spridget?

Frank Clarici spritenut at comcast.net
Sun Jun 27 20:35:54 MDT 2010

Has anyone given any thought to this conversion?
The kid up the street is into Miatas and let me borrow one of his spare
trannys. I can see right off the bat that the shifter linkage needs to
be shortened by 8" but it looks do-able. I have not tried any lining up
of the lumps yet and the drive shaft would have to be shortened but
there would be no shortage of 5 or 6 speed trannys if this can be done.
Has anyone done any work in this area yet?
I do not have any machining capabilities here at home but I will see if
maybe I can come up with a wooden adapter for a start.
As soon as I bring my next Midget tub home for it's restore, I'll see
how it fits in the tunnel and if I can adapt it somehow.

Just thinking out loud for now.
--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ