[Spridgets] whose fault is that!

robertduquette at sympatico.ca robertduquette at sympatico.ca
Wed Jun 23 14:01:56 MDT 2010

No-one's apparently.

We had an earthquake along the magnitude of 5.1 ( some reports as high as 5.7
).

I was on the road and had just pulled off the highway using an off ramp and
had just stopped ( red light ), checked my rear view to see a huge bus
approaching from behind and slowing nicely and checked my GPS.  Next thing I'm
feeling the car stating to shake from side to side and I think: "the bugger
ran into me.  Not serious ... we're not moving forward".  And, I think: "how
is it that we're moving side to side".  I check the mirror and the bus is
stopped a safe distance behind me.  Now, I'm thinking that the engine must
have grenaded or is running really rough.  By this time I'm starting to look
forward again and I see the car in front of me dancing from side to side.  You
know how soft side wall tires lean way over?  Well, he was doing that on one
side and then the other.  Now I'm thinking that the ramp is collapsing and I
want off.  The light turns green and off we go.  Turns out that the ramp is on
the ground, not supported in the air. ( found that out on the return trip. )

The first thing that I did when I got home was check to see that the car
that's supposed to be on the hoist was where it should be.

I was going to include a bit of fiction in that story about how my GPS started
showing me on one side of the road and then the other, but ... I was lazy. :)

This story is out of the wrong city, as the epicentre was just outside Ottawa,
but it's what I can find.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/toronto/story/2010/06/23/tor-earthquake.html

Robert Duquette
Ottawa ON Canada
1965 RHD BRG Austin-Healey Sprite ( project )
1967 RHD MG Midget ( aka: Miss Marple )
1955 Austin-Healey 100 BN1 ( aka: Carmen )

http://www3.sympatico.ca/robertduquette/temp/2009FallTour.jpg