[Spridgets] Rear Axle Hub Nut Question

David Ambrose stargazer1 at cox.net
Tue Jun 8 16:29:27 MDT 2010

On 6/8/2010 1:02 PM, brian wrote:
> What side are you working on?  The left side has a left hand thread.

Thanks for all the reminders. I had that handedness thing figured out.
The Haynes manual mentions this prominently and Moss catalog handily
calls out different nuts for left and right sides. I'm turning the
drivers side clockwise to loosen it.

I think my primary problem is the socket I'm using. It's tapered inside
and 12 pointed. The hub nut is thin and it's slipping off before I can
really apply a lot of torque to the nut. Am going to try to find a 1 7/8
impact socket. If I can't then I'll grind off the taper from the socket
I have.

Frank, I'm going to do both sides. Doesn't make any sense just to fix one.

Looking closely at the hub, it looks like some DPO broke off the lock
tab, and used a chisel to remove it some time in the past.

I think I'll go watch Bang the Head Slowly.

DPOriffically Yours,
Dave Ambrose