[Spridgets] (no subject)

Frank Clarici spritenut at comcast.net
Fri Jun 4 15:27:39 MDT 2010

On 6/4/2010 11:29 AM, Mike Eldred wrote:
> Listers,
>
> I'm getting ready to R&  R the clutch on my '73 midget.

I have done it both ways many times.
Sometimes getting the trans back in with the mount on is as tough as
lining up the shaft with the clutch.

Pros to leaving the tranny in the car are you do not have to remove the
slave, so you will not have to bleed it.
You will not have to worry about forgetting to unbolt the ground strap,
you know, the heavy wire under the car you forget about and try yanking
the engine and trans out but that wire holds it in.
No drive shaft to remove or replace.

Cons to leaving the tranny in the car.
It is a bit of a pain to get to a couple of engine/trans bolts but not
too bad. Nothing like the bolts on a 5 speed tranny.
Lining up the input shaft with the clutch can sometimes
be a bear, sometimes it slips right in too.
You need a 2nd person to hold that bottom starter bolt from inside the
footwell.

--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ