[Spridgets] 1961 Bugeye?

corvallis at peoplepc.com corvallis at peoplepc.com
Fri Jul 30 16:57:33 MDT 2010

>From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austin-Healey_Sprite
The Sprite's chassis design is notable in that it was the world's first
volume-production sports car to use integrated construction, where the sheet
metal body panels (apart from the bonnet) take many of the structural
stresses. The two front 'chassis' legs which project forward from the
passenger compartment, however, stop the shell being a full monocoque. The
design is said to have been influenced by the Jaguar D-type.

Engine: 19581961 - 948cc cc A-Series I4, 43 hp (32 kW) at 5200 rpm and 52
lbf7ft (71 Nm) at 3300 rpm
A car was tested by the British magazine The Motor in 1958 had a top speed
of 82.9 mph (133.4 km/h) and could accelerate from 0-60 mph (97 km/h) in
20.5 seconds. A fuel consumption of 43 miles per imperial gallon (6.6 L/100
km; 36 mpg-US) was recorded. The test car cost #678 including taxes of #223.
...bill in corvallis