[Spridgets] S.I.A.T.A

Kitterer Bob bkitterer at me.com
Thu Jul 22 21:24:32 MDT 2010

There was a foreign car dealer near where I went to high school and I would stop in almost every school day on my way home.  One day in 1953 or 1954 there was an aggressive looking white car on the show room floor.  So in I went to see a marque that I had never seen - SIATA.  The manger whom I had gotten to know quite well told me it was a SIATA Spider and the little V8 delivered 150 hp at the rear wheels ! ! !   Not bad for 1953 from a two liter V8.  I have only seen one other one, or perhaps it was the same one, some months later going down a street being driven by a little white haired lady who's head was barley above the door.

For quite a few years now I have been trying to find information on these cars but none of the searches came up with the correct car.  I was almost to the point of wondering how bad my memory ha become when in an ad in a recent Autoweek there was the car in red, a 1953 SIATA 208S.  This car belonged to Steve McQueen and is for sale at www.canepa.com  Go to collectable cars on their site, third row down, second car in.  Click on the photo for lots more pictures of the car.  A great looking and performing car.

Bob Kitterer

1960 Austin Healey Sprite (Mk IV in disguise) - in storage
1966 Austin Healey Sprite Mk III (Trevor) - still in boxes - in storage