[Spridgets] Rear Hub Bearing

Kitterer Bob bkitterer at me.com
Sat Jul 17 11:48:42 MDT 2010

Hello Mike,

I have been running wire wheels on my bugeye since 1968 and have only once had a problem similar to yours and that was just a few years ago.  First this is how my car is set up so you can determine how much of these comments will apply to you.  I am useing a wire wheel banjo from a Mk I Midget.  As discussed here before the wire wheel banjo and axles are an inch shorter than for disc wheels. My differential, axles, hubs, brakes and wheels are from a 1967 Mk IV.

A few years ago the rear seals were leaking regardless of what I did.   Then I found that the rear wheels wobbled at the hub - jack the car up, grab the top and bottom of the wheel and see if there is any movement.  This turned out to be the bearings.  In your hand I see the inner and outer race wobble - - bad bearing.  I was surprised how many new bearings had the same problem, I think I ended up with NSK bearings but do not have my records here.  This did not solve the problem however.  The wobbling bearings had made the inside of the hub out of round by about 0.005 of an inch.  I found new hubs at Austin Healey Spares.  http://www.ahspares.co.uk/   New hubs and bearings solved the problems.  Also I use a bearing press to remove and install bearings.

Hope this helps

Bob Kitterer

1960 Austin Healey Sprite (Mk IV in disguise) - in storage
1966 Austin Healey Sprite Mk III (Trevor) - still in boxes - in storage