[Spridgets] Trying to start up the old MG

Jim Johnson bmwwxman at gmail.com
Mon Jul 12 23:01:44 MDT 2010

Whoa!!!   Don't rebuild the engine just because you get a "click" trying to
start it!!   Not saying it doesn't need it, but you ought to at least get it
running before you make that decision!   That click means that there isn't
enough current getting to the starter to turn it over.  First thing to do is
clean both battery contacts, the solenoid contacts, and then the contact at
the starter and the ground contact (engine to frame).  If the starter still
doesn't turn over you can move on to the more expensive stuff! Next item
would be how much cranking power is left in the battery...

Point is... its not the engine that is clicking!!  It's the solenoid!

Cheers!!
Jim