[Spridgets] Sing: The hub's connected to the wish-bone. The wishbone's connected to the... hmm....

Chris Rae Chris.Rae at microsoft.com
Mon Jul 12 11:26:47 MDT 2010

Whilst attempting to bleed my brakes yesterday (first time - mixed success) I
observed something unfortunate on my MK4 Sprite.

As you all know, the shock absorbers are those little magic boxes, connected
to the hub via a trunion thing. A pin comes out of the shock and goes through
one end of the trunion. I was surprised to notice yesterday that the trunion
moved entirely independent of that pin. That made me wonder exactly how my
shock absorber worked, as I must have misunderstood it.

A brief view of the other side of the car revealed that the pin does *not*
move independently of the trunion. It has little teeth on it, which connect to
little teeth on the inside of the trunion. Hmm.

Back to the other side, and my pin has no teeth on it. The trunion looks like
it's got its ones, but the pin has only a couple of very faint ones and spins
around gaily. This may account for the fact that my suspension is a bit
saggy.

My question is: Can I take the shock apart and replace this pin? Would the
"fulcrum pin repair kit" on
http://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=29294 do the
job?

I thought I'd post here before dismantling the shock and being the object of
ridicule..

Chris