[Spridgets] 1978 Alfa Spider For Sale

Ron Soave soavero at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 5 10:24:09 MDT 2010

Friends,
My Alfa Spider streetcar is up for sale with a reduced price of $2900 or offers. Car is in Roscoe, IL near WI border, 50 miles south of Madison WI, 70 miles west of O'Hare.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2063286&id=1341954812&l=383412d410.

This time I'm actually gonna advertise it and stuff - I am out of space. The car is a 1978 Spider Veloce. I drive it severla times a week for a 50 highway mile round trip to the Rockford Airport and it's great. 5 speed in 5th is a very pleasant experience with the top down, nothing the Mike Tyson-like experience of my Sprites at speed. There are two rust bubble clusters above each rear fender lip and that's it - the car is otherwise in beautiful cosmetic condition. Driver's seat has some seams splitting, but otherwise really nice. The top is original and is of very high quality. The rear window is original, and I currently have some packing tape doing some good work as a patch.

The car has the 2.0L fuel injected (SPica) engine. I don't touch the Spica,and it leaves me alone. The motor was gone through by PO Bob Rewoldt maybe 12,000 miles ago and it is strong. I have been told it's faster than a normal Alfa - it has Shankle cams and header plus the Shankle "Smart Start". Gearbox was rebuilt by Bob,  it's better than the NEW Sprint Veloce I drove in the 80s. You can beat the 2nd gear synchro if you really set your mind to it, but it's as strong as any Alfa box I've driven. Car has never stranded me.

The bad - the aforementioned fender bubbles, and some weird electrics. The oil pressure was verified by me with a mechanical gauge as having 75 psi cold, but it reads all over the gauge randomly with 2 different senders. It probably needs a gauge. The fuel gauge is kaput as well, probably the sender. New trick - when you have the left directional on and hit the brake, the directional shuts off. I traced as much as I could, nothing obvious. Brake booster is acting a little weird too - I sometimes disconnect it and go manual. I drive the car with all these things - no big deal, but they should be fixable rather easily. I simply have too many other projects - somebody take this. It is a steal at the asking price.

Ron

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2063286&id=1341954812&l=383412d410.