[Spridgets] Ralph Nader. . Corvair

Tim Collins thcollin at mtu.edu
Fri Jul 2 19:21:51 MDT 2010

Ralph was on the college speaking route for many years - may still
be. When he came to Michigan Tech in the Upper Peninsula (MI) he took
a jet to the closest airport and then was driven the rest of the way.
He evidently has a policy to not fly in small commuter planes -
unsafe at any altitude I guess. Take a look at the map. Milwaukee to
Houghton (Does Green Bay have big jet service?) or GB to Houghton is
a long way. 3 to 4 hours by car to GB. Two lane roads all the way
once past GB and those roads are through the wilderness. The
wilderness is full of deer. I have see herds of deer on the highway
on that stretch of road especially in the Spring when the new grass
is growing along the highway and the woods are still full of snow.
But, he was comfortable with the tradeoff of a "safe highway ride" vs
a dangerous ride in a small plane. Houghton International Airport
(CMX) is about a 15 minute drive from the campus.

Tim Collins
http://www.flickr.com/photos/12702006@N07/