[Spridgets] I wish to retract my diagnosis

Tim Collins thcollin at mtu.edu
Fri Jul 2 14:43:08 MDT 2010

Back on the 22nd of June, I wrote about a "bad hose" I had installed
on my 1098 Sprite to make bleeding of the clutch cylinder easier. I
blamed the old hose for disintegrating and clogging the clutch
cylinder so I couldn't get the clutch to release. I wish to retract
that diagnosis.

After bleeding the cylinder several times because of the coffee
colored brake fluid and still the clutch wouldn't work, I began to
suspect something else - a stuck clutch. I had used the car about 2
weeks earlier so I kept dismissing a stuck clutch option, but that's
what it was. Today I warmed up the car, turned it off, shifted into
4th and then started the car without pushing on the clutch peddle.
After a few jerks down the driveway, the car was off and running -
just fine. I could finally shift through the gears.

I dissected the "old hose" today and couldn't find a thing wrong. I
ran a Q-tip inside the hose and it came up clean - no smutz. So why
was the brake fluid so dark? Well, I recall using a rubber assembly
grease that came with the repair kit, I believe, and I do remember
ordering more from Peter 'cause I did all the brakes and master
cylinder too and needed more. That stuff is a dark plumb color as I
recall. So I conclude that the hydraulic was A-OK and the real
problem was the stuck clutch. At least I won't have to worry about
the new steel line.

Here's the lesson. When your doctor says you have "dark brake fluid"
because you are having "clutch problems"  it could be that your real
problem is that your "clutch is stuck." If the Dr. puts you on a med
to clear up your "brake fluid" it probably won't help. If the good
Dr. wants to replace your "throw out bearing" better get another
opinion. It's gotta be a tough job being a Dr. You can't be wrong too
many times!

Tim Collins
http://www.flickr.com/photos/12702006@N07/