[Spridgets] Bugeye/Frogeye Club..... wire wheel rear end conversion

Robert E. Shlafer pilotrob at msn.com
Mon Jan 25 05:03:38 MST 2010

Well, Leo....

this isn't like asking yourself whether to replace a clutch when you pull an
engine
(no question about this unless you KNOW it's "new" and working perfectly) but
I understand you're working on a budget.

Others may have other experiences but here's mine bearing in mind it is
usually false economy to NOT replace "wearables" while you're "in there"
whether they appear to need it or not,,,,unless you know they're relatively
new/working perfectly.

OTOH, these are not the days of OEM "quality" parts so I'll defer to those
listers who deal in parts insofar as today's quality is concerned....Ed, Pete,
Paul and others.

IMH Experience:

I can honestly say that in all the years I've run MGA's/B's, Bugeyes and
Spridgets I've never had a rear wheel bearing go. Front yes, rear no.

And my last Spridget in which I commuted back and forth from my home in
Stamford to my NYC domicles of LGA & JFk got some pretty good use, inclusive
of those occasions (I was a younger man at the time) when I "drove it like I
stole it" considering it was "Vizardized" and put down 90 (dyno) HP at the
rear wheels.

And those wheels were 5.5 Westerns using 60 Series Yoko 008R's so the loading
on those bearings would have been far greater than stock. For 80k+ miles.

The differentials are normally just as bulletproof, btw. The diffs & later
axles are bullet proof too though you'll probably replace the left axle within
100k
depending upon how rough or gentle you are with "engagements" over time,
figuring in "standard" or "tuned" torque loadings as well. A lot depends on

The 3.9 choice is, IMHO, the perfect choice for mixed driving with the Dat. 5
speed. I used a later 3.7 but I was mainly doing limited access highway cruise
and the increased ("squeeze"@ 11.0-1CR) torque of the Vizardized motor made up
for the slightly higher diff ratio in the twisty's or town use.

The other questions I am not qualified to answer but you'll get excellent
advice from a bunch of very experienced "hands on" guys on the Autox list who
definitely know their stuff.

Sounds like you'll have a good-lookin', fun ride when you're finished, Leo.

You're gonna love what the Dat. 5 speed does for performance combined with a
markedly reduced noise level.

Enjoy, man. :)

CB