[Spridgets] Old Life Magazines & LBC's

Tim Collins thcollin at mtu.edu
Wed Jan 20 14:01:32 MST 2010

I was going through Google Books today looking for Sprite, Midget,
BMC, etc advertisements in the pages of Life magazine. I found a few
neat ones including one with Donald H. in an advertisement for Lord
Calvert - Men of Distinction.

Evidently an article about sports cars (Farthest-Gone Motorists, LIFE
Mar 28, 1960) was published in Life which brought several funny
(funny today) letters to the editor. Here's one.

LIFE April 18, 1960
     Having spent more than four years in a service station, I feel
somewhat qualified to cast an opinion about sports car owners.
     These guys were a pain in the neck. Tires had to be at 25 pounds
6 ounces, or some other microscopically accurate reading. Gas and oil
consumption was faithfully logged in tine black book. Invariably, I
did not have in stock the type of oil that they used.
     They would stand over me to see if I spilled any fuel--the
purpose being to deduct from the mileage computations and to wipe it
up so the paint wouldn't stain.
     After all this, they would announce to all the latest
miles-per-gallon figure and roar out of the pump island.
     My reaction was always a heartfelt goodby.
Noel D. Harman
Manhattan Beach, Calif.

Hey, I resemble those remarks, except my book is BLUE!! LOL

Another indignant writer, T.R.Young (female?? from Maine), wrote how
to properly get into an Austin Healey - even with bags of groceries in hand.

Deborah Scheibel, N.H. wrote that the author ". . .must be mad to let
a garage mechanic touch one's most valued possession." [I'm thinking
she's talking about a car here]

Anyway, it is fun reading to find old ad's about our cars. Check them out.

Tim Collins
http://www.flickr.com/photos/12702006@N07/