[Spridgets] Pics of my wide trackin Sprite

Edward Perez eap2140 at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 19 14:38:13 MST 2010

I had this happen on my '72 Jeepster.  Picture going 70mph and losing a 1.5" diameter axle, ~30" long, connected to 33x12 tire!  The whole thing bounced across 4 lanes of traffic on 405 and didn't hit anyone!  Lucky!.  I had the top off at the time and the sparks from the backing plate were flying against the back of my head.  Looked like the 4th of July in my Jeep.  They had to close the freeway to remove me.  No one hurt, plus.... I got to hear my situation announced on the traffic report!  Turns out, the bearings are pressed on the axle and that's what holds it all in.  When the bearing goes, so does your axle.  I think they market a kit for the Dana axles to correct it.

Glad your situation worked out safely, Phil!  You might want to check that axle to make sure it didn't get bent.  Mine did.