[Spridgets] Jack stands.. (was- fuel line mystery)

Bud Osbourne abcoz at hky.com
Sun Jan 10 20:05:29 MST 2010

The ordinary 2x4 pine you find in today's Home Defect is crap.  It splits
too easily and crushes more than I like to see.  The hardwood I use won't
split without a lot more force than blocking a car will generate, plus it
won't allow the car to slip on the stand.  It will also crush just enough to
help hold the car in position on the stand.  I do, however, use a short
length of 2x4 white pine on the lifting pad of my hydraulic jack, to keep
the car from sliding off the jack while I raise it or when I move a car
around my workshop with the aid of the jack.  The lifting pad really digs
into the 2x4 and the car won't slide on the 2x4, either.  Of course, if I'm
not real careful where I place the jack, the 2x4 gets split pretty easily.
Bud Osbourne