[Spridgets] paging Peter C

Bill Gilroy wmgilroy at gmail.com
Thu Jan 7 16:05:43 MST 2010

My main beef is Check Engine Light.  The CEL was on more times than I can
count.  My favorite was it was on and the fix was a "new version of
firmware".  I left the dealer and was about 5 miles away when it came back
on again.  One other time I was short on time because I was leaving NJ going
to WA so I had the dealer fix a couple of things, a headlight that rattled
and the CEL.  Turns out they did nothing with the headlight, it still
vibrated and the CEL was back on before I got to the 100 miles into PA.  I
call the dealer to complain about both items and I contacted VW America.
Short story was by the time I got to WA I had put enough miles to be out of
my warranty period.  It was up to me to fix the issues at that point and VW
refused to do anything  I was more than pissed.  I will never purchase their
products again.

Funny thing is the Outback is a very useful and versatile car and I love it.
My wife's main complaint is that it has more road noise and does not ride as
good as the VW and I agree.  Tons of people lover their VW, but not me.  I
want my wife's car to need very little care, just routine maintenance and
oil changes.

-g