[Spridgets] paging Peter C

Bud Osbourne abcoz at hky.com
Thu Jan 7 06:06:17 MST 2010

Bill,
Not meaning to "dis" you in any way, but, you don't mention if you bought it
new or used, how it was maintained and by whom it was maintained.  This is
VERY critical information.  Also "steaming pile" doesn't tell us anything
relevant.
As far as VW products are concerned: I just rolled past 296,000 miles last
week, with my '98 Golf (2.0 liter, 4 cyl. gas engine w/automatic).  I bought
it new and have maintained it very meticulously via the same dealer I bought
it from and the same mechanic working on it every time it went in for
service.  Aside from a fuel pump relay failure at around 250,000 miles and a
rear wheel bearing failure at around 180,000 miles (I now have wheel
bearings serviced at least once a year), it has never failed to get me to
where I needed to go.  I am confident of another 300,000 miles with the car,
although I realize I will eventually need to replace the transmission (I
mean, how long can an automatic transmission last????).
Without a doubt, the weak link in any VW product is Bosch electrics.
Basically, they suck and have been of inferior engineering and quality since
the early eighties.  I keep hearing rumors that BMW (more) and Mercedes
(less) are also having reliability issues due to Bosch electrics.  Porsche
does not seem to be immune from this, either.
Subaru.......I wouldn't own one, but not because I don't think they are good
cars.  I've driven plenty of them (my dealer is a VW/Subaru store & their
loaner fleet was all Subies) and just don't like them as much as the VWs.
Bud Osbourne