[Spridgets] paging Peter C

Bud Osbourne abcoz at hky.com
Wed Jan 6 13:43:05 MST 2010

Kent,
Had a nice visit with my local VW dealer parts guy, this morning.  It turns
out that the V6 Passats are the best of the bunch.  The V6 is pretty much
bullet-proof, with no problem areas at all (assuming correct maintenance).
The earlier 1.8T was also pretty much bullet-proof.  It was the '01 and
later 1.8T that was very sensitive to lack of proper maintenance, plus they
had some issues with temp sensors & a few other things.  Due to some engine
management system changes, these later engines seem to accumulate "sludge"
faster than the early ones did.  In other words, too long between oil
changes = "the sludge issue".
Also learned that the automatic transmissions in the series 4 Jettas were
troublesome.  Valve body problems ($1500 part) are common, and I thought I
heard him mention that the clutches were weak, too, meaning that you are
looking at $2000 in parts when the automatic tranny "sh_ts the bed".  Then
there's the labor charge..........   Needless to say, a series 4 Jetta
automatic is not in my future.

So, if I can find a 1.8T Passat that has had excellent care, I may snag it.
Otherwise, I will look for a V6 Passat and figure that the extra fuel costs
will be offset by what I'd spend in maintenance & repair on a 1.8T.

I also learned that the 4 Motion system (VW all wheel drive) has been very
trouble-free.
If I had this problem during the "good weather" months (we have 2 or 3 of
them every year in PA), I'd have her in a Spridget in no time!
Bud Osbourne