[Spridgets] paging Peter C

Kent McLean kentmclean at comcast.net
Tue Jan 5 16:50:32 MST 2010

Bud Osbourne wrote:
 > Passat or have your brains blown out, which model would you choose
 > (and you're not allowed to pick .357 Magnum)?

Can anyone play?  Having owned a few VW-family turbo'd cars,
I'd go with a normally aspirated V6. You may find the 1.8T's
need some revs to build power. Unless your wife puts her foot
in it all the time to keep that turbo spinning, she might like
the torque of the V6 better.  And though I haven't driven one,
the TDI diesel would be worth a look. Whatever you decide, go
for the newest one you can afford. The U.S. generations split
at 2002-2005, and 2006-.

If you Google, you'll find other VW issues with control arms
failing early, ignition coils failing early, and the famous
"oil sludge" problem of the turbos. As with any used car, get
one with a folder full of past maintenance receipts (How often
did they change the oil? With dino or synthetic?).

Although I love my German cars, as someone else said, you may
do better to go with a Honda or Toyota.

--
Kent McLean
1990 V8 w/5-speed and other mods