[Spridgets] Unintended deceleration

brian S bugeye15 at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 4 07:13:11 MST 2010

Another racing related one,
Back in the fall of 1982, at 17,I was doing some Solo 2 evengts with my Dad in
his, now my Bugeye.
I had been improving over the previous year and a half.Though my Dad was
always quicker, I had been closing the gap.At the last event of the year, at a
course set up on a 1/2 mile paved oval in Upstate NY,I was finally getting
REAL close, only a couple tenths off his time.Last run of the day and year,I
really nailed the run, I KNEW I was going to finally beat him!Coming out of
the last set of cones, hard on the gas, 100 yards to go....YES I'm going to do
it!! redline in second, lighting fast shift to third, ooo baby,Then
burrrrrrrmmm, WHAT? look at dash, tach's at 0, it died, heart sinks,step on
the clutch and coast through the finish. Tried to restart it, wouldn't refire.
Major disapointment. Found out the time was .5 sec slower that my Dad's. I
would have beaten him!Opened the bonnet, and peered around to find out why.
Soon discovered the coil wire had come off. Oh well..That winter my Dad
decided to start restoring the car,Wonder why???????Loved being able to do it
with him, learned alot autocrossing.Gonna have to get my son out to a few. I
wish they would do them on Saturday's instead of Sundays around here.
Brian S.
Bugeyeracer finally resto'ed!