[Spridgets] Unintended deceleration

Biff Jones biffjones at verizon.net
Sun Jan 3 14:40:05 MST 2010

Okay Jay,

Way back when (1962) going to work one morning I had the throttle cable on
my TR3A break and the throttle return springs did their thing. Nothing
really exciting except I just had downshifted into third in anticipation of
hitting the apex of a ninety degree right hander and when I hit the gas
nothing! Usually I would hit the gas and drift through the turn in a
glorious power drift, straighten up and shift to fourth. However, that
morning with no power assist the car did "drift" but uncontrollable and
after doing a 180 my left rear wheel hit the shoulder on the right side of
the road and over I went. I did a 1 1/2 right hand role and ended upside
down with the front still on the pavement and the rear on a small incline
off the road. I had my 5 point harness on and was aided by a small ditch
between the shoulder and the small incline where luckily my head ended up.
No injuries to me but the car was declared a total loss.

Biff Jones
'Frogarri' '59 Bugeye
'Ole Gray' '61 AH Sprite in the "Healey Book"
http://sprites2.homestead.com/

[demime found a multipart/alternative section which it tried
to parse but could not find any section which it could render. Please send plain text.]