[Spridgets] Was "Car Hauler Tires" now generalized bitch thread.

chris_west chris_west at juno.com
Fri Feb 26 18:01:13 MST 2010

 tell the clerk to tell his boss
> that he lost a sale because the crap was chinese.
> I don't think it's working but I really do try to do my part.
The problem is that most American companies don't care if they lose a
sale,
and most of their employees have no interest in doing their jobs well.
Americans in general have a really shitty attitude, and that's where all
the
problems begin.
BZ

OK group, this is where I feel I have to chime in.  I have worked in the
auto parts aftermarket for 35+ years and can share a few opinions.
First, "you get what you pay for."  I would gladly sell nothing but "made
in USA" parts (if they are even available) to everyone.  However 99% of
the customers don't give a rat's a$$ "where" the part was made as long as
it costs less than everyone else's same part.  Since people only want to
pay for crap, that is what is stocked by the nationwide retailers (AZ,
AA, and PB are their initials, you figure it out.)  Price is paramount,
and they get the business from the general public (with the attendant
high profit margin) AND more repair shops than you would imagine.  Some
of the traditional aftermarket suppliers, like NAPA etc. have to "go with
the flow" and offer "price point" items as well as the name brand high
quality stuff. And sometimes they stoop to the lower level.  I have been
told that one supplier (whose initials may be CQ) that traditionally sold
high quality chassis parts (made by Moog) in their own boxes now only
sources the fastest moving part numbers from Moog and fills out their
line with the lower quality stuff.

Second, I, and my coworkers, do care if we lose a sale.  Too many lost
sales and you are literally out of business.  In fact, our computer
system tracks "lost sales" so we can adjust our inventory to demand.  But
when your lost sales are due to price (see above) what do you think
happens?    So, for example, you come in and ask for cheap parts instead
of name brand, like Moog, or Fel Pro, or Standard Ignition, the lost sale
of the low priced line gets recorded, not the name brand. The lower
priced crap gets ordered because that is what most people wanted.

Third, I resent the statement that I and my coworkers have "no interest
in doing our jobs well."  If I didn't care, I would not be ASE (15+
years) and (shortly) AIA (import) certified.  I would not have gone to
Sherwin Williams Paint training.  I would not attend meeting and seminars
to broaden my knowledge.  I would not literally spend hours on the phone
each and every day sourcing hard to find parts so my customers could get
vehicles repaired.  I would not spend countless other hours trying to
solve problems with parts lookups and cataloging.  So don't you dare tell
me that I don't care enough to do my job well.  Because when you say
that, you are not only speaking to me and my coworkers, but also other
list members like Paul A , Peter C and Ed.

Now, I agree that "some" American companies don't care if they lose that
sale, because there's always someone else that will step up to the
window, dazzled by the "Low Prices, Always" approach.  And yes, "some"
workers don't care about their jobs or their customers.  And I do agree
about the "shitty attitude" but on whose part, the customer bemoaning the
quality of goods in the marketplace, or the seller worn down relentlessly
by the demand for lower prices, regardless of quality?

End of rant................

Chris - AN5L35xxx