[Spridgets] Clutch Master Cylinder Barfing

Mike Eldred redscirocco at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 25 15:37:17 MST 2010

This is in my new-to-me '73 Midget.  At some point over the colder months, the
clutch master cylinder leaked, spilling onto the driver's side footwell.  When
I bought the car, DPO told me this had happened to him last winter, too, so I
was kind of expecting it.  Any ideas as to what's going on?  I'm already
planning to install a new MC and slave anyway, but I can't figure out what it
is about cold weather (I mean cold like ~zero degrees f.) that would make it
leak and pour out.

A second, perhaps related, clutch problem I'd appreciate any insight on: when
you put any presssure on the clutch, engine running, you get a whining
squealing sound - release the clutch and it's gone.  Doesn't matter if it's in
gear or neutral.  My diagnosis is that the throwout bearing is shot, and I
plan to replace the bearing, pressure plate and clutch disc this spring.  Any
other thoughts?

Cheers,

-Mike Eldred

Wilmington, VT