[Spridgets] No LBC - Volvo C30

Jay jfishbein at snet.net
Wed Feb 24 11:29:21 MST 2010

Something almost equally interesting is that there is more "Ford" in the Volvo range than meets the eye. Do some research, read some reviews. They are quite revealing.

I already wrote Ron off-list, but the C-30 is built on the Ford Focus platform which is shared by the Mazda 3. I owned a 2010 C30 in the fall for a total of 676 drop-dead boring miles. (Minus 184 miles on it when delivered and 90 miles for two trips to the dealer where I traded it in.)

IMO, Ford and Mazda do a better job with their versions of this car. Strip away the cool rear-end styling and what you have is ... well ... a Volvo with 2 doors.

I would take the S&D review with a grain of salt. Drive one of these things hard, like a Cooper, and you'll get yourself into real trouble. The car has serious understeer. It is fast (227 hp) but it is also heavy and doesn't have a very good suspension underneath it. Added to that, the 6-speed is a very loose box that left me unsure where to find gears.

Dedicated Volvo owners love the C30 and owners in the C30 forums are generally not experienced with driver's cars such as Coopers, GTI's, Audi's, BMW's, etc. and therefore are touting it's grand performance, interestingly while plopping down $$$$$ on suspension upgrades.

jay