[Spridgets] favorite tools iin shop

brian S bugeye15 at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 14 09:36:28 MST 2010

What Phil said.....:-)

I have a benchtop Horrible Freight blast cabinet, Top Loader.
Not real big, but good for 80% of the stuff I did for my Bugeye.
Top Load doesn't seal real well, I always wear a mask.
I was amazed at the stuff on the outside of even just a medium dust mask.
I'm always wiping the plastic "window" down to see in.
Constantly pushing the glass beads back down to the bottom.
I have a 2 hp 30 gallon Craftsman 110 compressor pushing it.
Can't blast very long w/o it kicking on.
My shop vac sucks the gloves into the cabinet if I don't severely restrict
it's
flow with tape over the hose.

Now, despite all this, it was one of the best things I bought
to restore my Bugeye.
Saved tons of time and money cleaning things myself.
I would get a better cabinet if I had to do it again, but it was only $100.

A gentleman who runs a blasting supply company and my
stepfather who used to run a machine shop recommend glass beads
as the best all around media if you don't want to constantly change media
out.
Can be used on just about everything.

my 2 cents

Brian S.
Bugeyeracer finally resto'ed!

> From: nases at verizon.net
> Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2010 09:35:29 -0500
> To: mdrowe at optonline.net
> CC: spridgets at autox.team.net
> Subject: Re: [Spridgets] favorite tools iin shop
>
> On Feb 14, 2010, at 8:47 AM, Michael Rowe wrote:
>
> > There is near universal agreement on a blast cabinet.   This week I
> completed the 220v line for my $150, 60 gal Craig's List Special
compressor.
> There is a large range of sizes and prices for blast cabinets.  What
features
> are essential?  Does anyone use cheap sand instead of glass beads?
> >
> > Michael Rowe
>
> What size you need depends on what your blasting of course. Mine just
barely
> allows a road wheel to be worked on but it won't allow a anti-roll bar
sized
> part.  To be sure you need good lighting inside,  if the seams aren't
already
> sealed then do it yourself before it gets dirty.  On my bench top the
hopper
> sides aren't steep enough so I'm constantly pushing media down to the
pickup
> tube so my next one will be a floor stand type which allows steeper sides
on
> the hopper.  Mine has a side door which leaks media,  I haven't used the
top
> loaders but it seems logical they would be less prone to leaks.  Also build
> yourself a dust bong like Frank uses to keep the dust out of the air and
save
> your vacuum from early failure.  I think Frank had the plans on the
Teglerizer