[Spridgets] Really?

Michael Rowe mdrowe at optonline.net
Mon Feb 1 08:30:35 MST 2010

This car is located in Waianae, which is far out in the country.  There are
jokes about "girls from Nanakuli," and Waianae is farther out than Nanakuli!
(I confess that my family lived even farther out on a different island.  My
mother drove 100 miles for groceries every weekend - not Wyoming, perhaps,
but pretty isolated.)

Although most people in Hawaii are "worldly," many are extremely isolated
and naive.  They have never been much of anywhere or done much of anything,
and don't realize how much they don't know (or maybe they just don't care) -
rather like Manhattanites.     With in-migration and TV, etc., it is not as
bad now as it used to be, but it is certainly not California.  These people
would see this car as a rare antique no one has ever heard of, and they
would not think to look online to find out what it might be worth.  What
would most people in your neighborhood think if they found a 1938 Bugatti
under a pile of junk in a shed?

Michael Rowe
Country Boy