[Spridgets] Brent Wolf's Widow's MG - Help Needed in Orlando

CosmicMag1380 cosmicmag1380 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 19 22:19:56 MST 2010

I was in Orlando last week and was able to see Brent's car. His wife,
Sandra, had contacted someone on the list who posted her
circumstances... The car is a fairly straight 1971 Midget in a burnt
orange color. It appears to be a respray that was done some time ago
and shows several chips and scratches. It does not appear to be a
quick job over a different color. The engine is a 1275 with SUs. The
valve cover is an alloy aftermarket item. There is a fuel pressure
regulator so I presume an aftermarket fuel pump. The carbs still held
oil in the dashpots so probably rebuilt at some point. Desmogged and
had a small alternator indicating negative ground. The nice surprise
is it has a Datsun 5 speed in it! It appears to be a dog-leg tranny
according to the shifter knob. New top, tonneau, and boot cover.
Original 70/71 Rostyle wheels with good tires. Nice seats and some new
carpet. The dash does not have any cracks. No radio, just a blanking
plate. The rear bumpers are nice, the front is somewhat dinged. There
are many niceties such as new weatherstripping for the trunk. The work
that is done is properly done and the car is very clean... It should
be a good driver for someone.

>From my viewing I can say that it needs the following:

The battery is down. The car has been sitting for a year now and Brent
was going to change the battery. The wipers moved back and forth and I
heard the fuel pump click a couple of times. There is a cutoff switch
on the terminal.

The ignition switch is tricky but does turn after you find the sweet spot.

The gas should be drained before trying to start it. There is a
replacement fuel tank with a drain plug so it shouldn't be a bad job.

The oil needs to be checked and maybe changed.

Once running, the drivetrain and brakes need to be checked out.

I was not able to tinker with it as there were no tools or battery in
the garage. I told Sandra that I would post to the list to see if
anyone is closeby who might tinker with it to try to get it running
for her. She did not have a real price in mind for the car and asked
my thoughts on it. I told her if it were running well, I would start
at 6K since it has the Datsun tranny already in it. Without it, I
would think that $4500 is about the upper range. I kind of doubt that
she will get that much but she can always sell it for less if she
wants.

I was not in a position to make a decent offer since I would have to
come back to get it from 900 miles away.

If you are close to FL 50 and FL 408, she is a couple miles from
there. If you can help her out (she is one of ours), reply to me and
I'll give you her contact number.

TIA,
--
Kent