[Spridgets] How to Get a Non Paying Bidder to Pay on eBay?

Kirk Hargreaves khargreaves2 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 17 10:18:47 MST 2010

I heard this on the Armstrong and Getty radio show this morning as a "true
story."

This guy sold 4 tickets to a sporting event on eBay for $600.0.  They were
sold locally two days before the game which meant that they would have to be
picked up by the buyer.  The terms of the transaction were understood by
both the seller and the buyer, ie. that a pickup of the tickets would have
to be made as there was not enough time to mail them.  They lived within
driving distance of each other.

After the auction closed the woman who "bought" the tickets later sent the
seller an email saying that her husband would not allow her to pay for them
ending with "enjoy the game."

The seller sent an email telling the lady "that this it was a transaction
and that she was responsible to pay for them. . as there was not enough time
left for him to relist them."

She answered back, "I don't have to pay for them, It's eBay. .  not a car
dealership"  (whatever that meant).

So the seller got a friend to send the lady an email through eBay telling
her that he would buy the tickets that she just bought, assuming that she
had actually paid for them, for $1,000.0 and to meet him at the game.

The lady countered back, "I will let you have them for $1,100.0 per which
the guy said, "fine, I will meet you at the game at such and such a place."
The lady said, "Don't let me down, I need to make sure that you will be
there with your money."  The guy then confirmed to her that indeed he would
be there.

So the lady sent an email to the original seller telling him that she
changed her mind, and that she would be by that evening to pay the $600.0
for the tickets.  She arrived at the guys house at midnight with $600.0 in
hand and bought the tickets.

Then she got another email from the original seller's friend notifying her
that he had changed his mind, and that he would not be at the game to give
her $1,100.0 for the tickets, ending with "enjoy the game."

The lady then flew off the handle sending the original seller an email
threatening that she was going to call the Fire Department, the Police, the
Chamber of Commerce, just about everything she could think of.

The seller ended with, "It's only eBay. .  not a car dealership."

Kirk