[Spridgets] starting a rebuilt 1275

BJNoSHOV8 bjshov8 at tx.rr.com
Mon Dec 6 17:37:56 MST 2010

I'm coming in late to this thread because I've been out of town.

When you "static time" an engine, you normally set the engine to top
dead center on #1 and this is normally done using the indicators on the
harmonic balancer.  But not just any normal top dead center, it needs to
be on the compression stroke.  When rebuilding an engine you can do this
easily because you can see that both valves are closed.  On any other
random engine you need to rotate the engine and make sure it is on its
compression stroke then fine tune it to top dead center.  Otherwise as
mentioned you might be at top dead center but you might be on the
compression stroke or on the exhaust stroke.  If you have done this and
you are sure that the distributor is in place with respect to the firing
stroke on #1, it is still possible that you have some spark plug wires
crossed on other cylinders.