[Spridgets] rear leaf spring replacement

Bill L pythias at pacifier.com
Sat Aug 28 13:07:44 MDT 2010

Hello vincent,

     I just did this. the Bentley book has instructions, .

     "Raise the vehicle by placing a jack under the differential
     housing and support the body. Ascertain that the weight of the
     axle is fully on the jack and that the springs are in the fully
     unloaded position. Remove the wheels. From within the car remove
     the set screws securing teh front anchor bracket to the rear of
     the body foot-well.
     From beneath the car remove the two front bracket sceuring set
     screws. Remove the four "u"bolt securing nuts and the sanmper
     anchorage plate. Remove the shackle nuts, pins and plates and
     lift out the spring assembly.

     Refitting.
          Remove the axle check strap to assist fitting the "u" bolts.
          Tighten the spring bolt when the normal working load has
          been applied to the spring.
          Reverse the removal procedure"

     I did this last spring. It will help to have a second floor jack.
     One to lift the diffy and another to lift the spring. I found it
     easier to put the front back on first then the rear, rather than
     to "reverse the procedure". Also I didn't have to remove the axle
     check straps.

     It's also easier to remove the shock arm while it's still
     attached to the springs, rather than trying to do that when it
     has nothing holding it one place.

--
Best regards,
 Bill L.                           mailto:pythias at pacifier.com

 '66 Sprite MKIII HAN8L49403   "the red thing"

   A diplomat is someone who can tell you to go to hell in such a way that you will look forward to the trip.