[Spridgets] Route to Nova Scotia

Kent McLean kentmclean at comcast.net
Tue Aug 24 18:49:01 MDT 2010

dwoerpel wrote:
> The question is:  What's the best way to I-95?
> We need the quickest route eastbound as we have an appointment with the
> ferry out of Sydney.  Our present options are:
>
> 1. I-90 to Worchester MA to 290 and then 495 or,
>
> 2. Hwy 7 out of Schenectady NY to Bennington VT, Hwy 9 to Concord NH, and
> Hwy 4 to Portsmouth NH and I-95.

I just took a job in Malta NY, a bit north of Albany. On weekends I commute home
to Concord NH, so I have some experience. :(

If you were in a Spridget, you'd definitely want NY-7 to VT-9 to NH-9. But
you're not, so don't. VT-9 is hilly (I'd say "mountainous", but they're not like
the mountains in Colorado). Tight twisty turns, lots of ups and downs, not
enough truck lanes going uphill, only 3 "big" towns -- Bennington, Wilmington,
and Brattleboro (and Brattleboro doesn't have a traffic light!). The rest is
National Forest or sparsely populated. The Spridget was built for it. It's even
better on a motorcycle. :)

An RV pulling a car?  Do yourself (and me) a favor and continue on I-90 East to
I-495.  If you hit Worcester MA away from rush hour (6-9ish AM, 4-7ish PM), you
can take I-290 to shave the corner and save some time. But if you hit it wrong,
you'll just hit traffic.

For the ride home, look into VT-100, probably picking it up in Waterbury VT
south to Wilmington VT, where you can pick up VT-9 W.

Enjoy the trip.

--
Kent McLean
'56 100 BN2