[Spridgets] More front wheel bearings

David Lieb 72spridget at gmail.com
Fri Aug 13 07:52:03 MDT 2010

> Actually David, Tom's particular stub axle showed a radius of over 2mm. We
> surveyed quite a few, and found they ranged from less than 1mm, to about
> 3mm. If the radius of your axle is 1.5mm or less then you would have
success
> fitting the bearings you did...or, at least you wouldn't know that there
are
> the stresses that could cause a failure. I will not debate this, nor deny
> that people have successfully fitted other bearings. When you're in the
> business, it's best to err on the side of caution.... no?  I might take a
> chance on my own cars, but not on a customer's.

Peter,
That is a pretty sorry excuse for a flame ;-)
At over 40,000 miles on those Timkens, including far too many
autocross clockwise skidpads on two wheels, I don't feel that there
were any added stresses in there. OTOH, I understand your position,
but I would expect far fewer problems from a properly fitted set of
Timkens than from the technically incorrect bearings sold by the big
suppliers of British car parts. By any standard, you are a bit of an
enabler...
David L