[Spridgets] NLBC- Porsche, Roush-a and Corvetta test drives

Ron Soave soavero at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 6 20:24:15 MDT 2010

While life HAS in fact been quite the b!tch lately, today was a pretty memorable one. Since it was a beautiful day, my boss tells me at lunch (we all eat together at a big table each day family-style with the office manager doing the cooking!) that we need to head over to one of the airport hangars. Initially, this is for the frivolous pursuit of looking at vintage aircraft and Czech fighter trainers (pretty f-in good on its own), but it rapidly degrades intot he natural aircraft/car intertwining.

I got some quality seat time today on a closed twisty road in a 1987 Porsche 930 Turbo with low mileage. Very nice car. I really didn't see what all the fuss is about regarding the handling. Handling was predictable very quickly, and the turbo kick was very controllable. I was able to kick the tail out, but I wasn't doing anything differently than I do in my race Sprite to make it do so. Phenomenal brakes. Nice car - don't be afraid.

We also played with a heavily modified Roush/Shelby GT500 with 630 horsepower. Now THAT was a handful. Tons of power, very difficult to harness. Straight line beast with no shocks(!).

Also a bone stock C6 Corvette that was by far the best balance of the lot. Way more power than the Porsche, way better handling than the Shelby, and an indicated 25 MPG on the computer.

That is all...

Ron