[Spridgets] Fw: rebuilding 1275cc engines

Colin Dodds colin at spriteparts.com.au
Fri Apr 30 14:39:03 MDT 2010

G'day Lin

I just don't want you to have false expectations.  These engines are over 30
years old, and if you're going to rebuild them properly there's quite a bit of
work that needs to be done, and that costs money.

You can get a "budget" rebuild for $2000 but it will not be a "nicely set up
engine".

Things that are often not done, but which contribute to a good rebuild,
include:
a) chemically cleaning the block and head to remove all rust and scale from
the water jackets, and sludge from the oil galleries;
b) deck both block and head to ensure they are both perfectly flat (they often
aren't);
c) statically balance con-rods and pistons;
d) dynamically balance crankshaft, flywheel and clutch.

Doing these things adds approx $350 - $400 to the cost, but you get an engine
that runs smoothly and doesn't over-heat in traffic.  But the cost, plus the
labour to assemble, doesn't leave much out of the $2000 for must do items like
new pistons, re-boring, grinding carnakshaft etc.

And it leaves no money at all to re-profile the camshaft, modify the cylinder
head.

Get some ball-park figures in advance from reputable engine builders, then
save up for the best rebuild you can afford.  You don't want to be
dissatisfied with the result, or (worse) have to do it over again.

avagoodday
Colin
www.SpriteParts.com.au