[Spridgets] DCOE 40 or DCOE 45?

Herbert Miller hgmiller3 at qwest.net
Tue Apr 27 09:13:49 MDT 2010

To add further Derf
DCOE's were commonly made  in sizes: 38  40  42  45  48. I think they also
made a 50mm.
As you state, various chocks are available for each size. Des Hammill
states:
Choke sizes "readily available" are as follows:
40mm  carb	28 30 32 34 mm chokes
45mm	carb		34 36 38 40 mm chokes
48mm  carb		36 38 40 42 43 mm chokes
More difficult to obtain are chokes for 42mm carbs and chokes in 1mm
increments.
For example:
42mm carb	30 31 32 33 34 35 36 mm chokes.
Hammill further recommends a 36mm choke for a single DCOE on a 1275 motor.
You can archive this with a 42mm or a 45mm carb. However you would be at the
high end with a 42mm carb, and in the middle of the range for a 45mm carb.
It is generally considered best to use the middle of the range for a
particular carb.
36mm (=1.42 inch) on a mild 1275 seems a little big to me considering
Hammill recommends a 36mm for a MGB with 1800cc's.
I agree with Derf, as to the advantages of the SU 44 HIF. I am currently
running one on my mild 1275 Bugeye. Very user friendly. One screw for idle,
one screw for mixture. No balancing.
However I do have a 42 DCOE that I want to fool with. Think I would start
with 34mm chokes (= 1.34 inch)to save low end and see if I run out of top
end.
As to street use of a DCOE, I used a 45 on my MGB for several years and
really liked it. More power. You are probably right about mileage, I never
checked.
Herb Miller