[Spridgets] Steering rack, rebuild?

Frank Clarici spritenut at comcast.net
Wed Apr 21 14:16:25 MDT 2010

On 4/21/2010 3:37 PM, Hal Faulkner wrote:
> O.K. the steering rack is out of FROG AYE to make it easier to replace brake
> pipes.  I'm contemplating rebuilding it: no real reason, just 'cuz it's
> out.  Any reasons not to?  What are the arguments for rebuilding?  Any
> danger spots?

Note each rack clamp orientation, they seem to have been milled and each
clamp and it's cap are just a bit different.
Also the little cap piece at the bottom of the pinion seems to be
orientated too, mark it before you take it off, do not loose any shims.
50/50 chance but you can bet you will get it wrong the first time. I
also do ;)
And the shims under the big nut on top, do not loose any.
The inner tie rod ends come off by bending out the dimpled tabs and
unscrewing them with a pipe wrench or channel lock pliers. Again, mark
left and right.
Count the turns when removing the outer tie rod ends, they should be 15
full turns each give or take 1/2 a turn to line them up. This will keep
your alignment close when you put them back. If you have 10 and 20
turns, something was wrong but your alignment was good just your
steering was not equal from full lock to full lock.
You can see the wear if you have any, I have found rust on the rack
once, and wear on one but for the most part, they are bulletproof.
Just watch and mark what you take apart and which side and direction it
faced.

--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ