[Spridgets] Iridium Plug Question

David Booker tncarnut1 at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 15 08:50:22 MDT 2010

LAD: "What do y'all think of Iridium spark plugs? "

I don't have
any statistically significant data on the question, but can tell you what
happened when I put a set of NGK iridium plugs into a Miata I owned a few
years ago. Iridium plugs were brand new on the market at the time and NGK
wanted to get some out on the street.  The result? My gas mileage instantly
went up by about 6 mpg and the car felt more peppy.

There are of course
questions to be asked about my experience.  Would my mileage have increased by
as much if I replaced the old plugs with a non-iridium plug?  Were the plugs I
replaced performing under the level they should have been, which gave me an
artificially low mileage to begin with? Was the "more peppy" feel just in my
head? (with the little voices) Who knows.

All I can say is that I'm one of
those guys who calculates his mileage with every tank of gas because this is a
good early indicator when something is going wrong. I was very pleased with
the increased mileage, especially because one of my friends worked for NGK at
the time and he sent me free iridium plugs for every vehicle I owned at the
time, including the motorcycles.

 - David Booker
Long Island