[Spridgets] Pawn Star Question

Frank spritenut at comcast.net
Tue Apr 13 19:47:13 MDT 2010

Kirk Hargreaves wrote:

> What noises would you typically hear when the bearings spin?

Spun main bearings sounds like a siren.
Spun rod bearings sound like rod knocks, or a sewing machine.

> I know it would be a lot less.  . but about how much to have it rebuilt,
> like for example by someone on our list. . ?

I can rebuild an engine for about $1000 not going crazy.
I can do it for a lot less if I was a pawn shop and was going to resell
the car.
Turn the crank $200
replace bearings $100
new rings $100
Gaskets  $60
That would be bare bones.
I would, and always do, replace the oil pump, water pump, thrust
washers, so there is another $125 or so.
Boring and new pistons adds a few hundred bucks, cam, lifters, head job,
etc adds another few hundred bucks.
But $6000 is a nice new race preped engine, right Ron?

--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ