[Spridgets] New Bugeye Group

Robert Evans b-evans at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 29 14:37:30 MDT 2009

Herb wrote:  "Sometimes, at sixty-two, I feel like a youngster in the
group."

That's cuz you are.  In fact, there has been talk of imposing a curfew on
these Spridget lists so you kids get the sleep you need to be healthy little
boys (and girls).

Herb wrote:  "I'm sad to say, we've lost a number of good 'Friends' over the
years."

In my mind, there is no question that Spridget ownership of more than a few
months brings a special kind of fellowship, camaraderie if you will, not
found among other sports car hobbyists.  Perhaps it is because our cars have
always been looked down upon and disparaged by other marques.  Perhaps
because we were the poor man's entry to the world of sports cars, and we
have had to be like our cars, a scrappy and defiant lot, and that uniqueness
has bonded us together not necessarily understood by "others".

I was once telling an old Navy buddy about the Spridget people of today, and
how they were like the "good old days" when everybody pitched in to help one
another, whether we knew them or not.  By this time, he was heavily involved
in TR's, not just locally, but on a national level.  Telling him what a
close-knit body of people Spridget owners were today, he found it impossible
to believe that *any* sports car group could be that taken up with the pure
fun and friendship as it was in a different age.  Later, as the three days
of the BusterCluster reached its finale, he came to me, shaking his head.
"Buster, you were RIGHT!  These people really ARE just like the good old
days."

Now approaching a half century of owning my Sprite, my Spridget friendships
are older than most.  Unfortunately, that also means that I have lost far
too many Spridget friends, from Thresher to Vietnam to Iraq, and from Lou
Gehrig's Disease to just plum wore out!

What more could a guy ask for in life?